Chemical - Free Birm Iron and Manganese Filter
How the AIO
Birm system works
water passes through a compressed pocket of air contained in the top of the tank.
The oxygen in the air precipitates the iron and manganese into solid form and
is removed when it passes through the filters birm media bed. Birm acts as a
catalyst in the reaction between iron, manganese and oxygen that also causes
the iron and manganese to precipitate into a solid. As more water passes
through the unit the air becomes depleted and the birm becomes overloaded with
the iron and manganese. Periodic automatic regeneration usually every 2 or 3
days replenishes the supply of air and cleans the media of filtered iron and
manganese. Birm is not consumed in the removal process and therefore is much
more economical than many other iron and manganese removal processes.
- Superior filtration for iron
- Uses air to precipitate iron,
manganese and minor hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell)
- Fully adjustable control valve delivers upflow
backwash, air recharge, rapid rinse then downflow service
- Time-tested, hydraulically-balanced piston,
seal and spacer control service flow and backwash Non-corrosive,
fiber-reinforced polymer construction
- Automatic backwash usually 2
or 3 days keeps the media clean
- Increase water softener capacity when
installed before softener
- Removes up to 3 ppm of Iron
and 1 ppm of Manganese
- Protects pipes, plumbing fixtures and home
- Eliminates rust stains in tubs, sinks, and
- Crystal clear, non-staining
- Uses no chemicals
- Inexpensive operation and simple design
Alkalinity should be greater than two times the combined sulfate and chloride concentration.
water temp: 100 F/ 38 C
pH range: 6.8 - 9.0
Dissolved Oxygen (D.O.) content must be equal to at least 15% of the iron (or
iron and manganese) content.
depth: 30 - 36 in.
Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
Backwash rate: 10-12 gpm/sq. ft.
Backwash Bed Expansion: 20-40% of bed depth (min.)
flow rate: 3.5-5 gpm/sq. ft. intermittent flow rates and/or favorable local
conditions may allow higher flow rates
- Resin Tank Size: 10" x
- Clack by-pass valve
- Brass lead free
- Gravel under bed: 0.4 cu ft
- Media: 1.5 cu ft. of Birm
- Clack WS1EA Valve
- Height: 63"
- Max. Diameter: 10"
- Approx. Weight: 100